This fresh-tasting, easy snack works well at any time of day
- 4 slices of Italian-style bread
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 200g (6½ oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ tbsp grated lemon zest
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil, plus a little extra for brushing
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 250g (8 oz) crab meat, fresh or tinned
- A few torn basil leaves
- Brush the bread with a little olive oil and grill or toast until lightly golden and crisp. When toasted, rub each slice with some crushed garlic.
- Combine the tomatoes, lemon zest, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and any remaining garlic and leave to marinate for ten minutes.
- Stir through the crab meat and basil leaves. Season well, then spoon the tomato mixture over each slice of bread and serve immediately.
If you’re using tinned crab, chill the tin and drain well before adding.